How Google Adwords PPC Works for Law Firms?
Is PPC for law firms effective or is it just a waste of money? The answer depends on how to use this promising marketing tool. Pay-per-click campaigns inform your potential clients about the company services and benefits as soon as they Google a lawyer in their region. There are two catches here:
- Due to high competition in the legal field, the prices on top keywords for lawyers can be high. Therefore, a PPC campaign for law firms can become a money trap.
- The non-professional approach to setting Google Adwords can significantly reduce the effectiveness of an advertising campaign. The Lasting Trend Marketing Agency runs Adwords Campaigns for lawyers that 100% pays-off.
Let’s review how you can take full advantage of online advertising for lawyers.
- In which areas of law Google Adwords PPC works most effectively for law firms?
- How Knowing Your Client Makes it Easy to Implement PPC strategy for Your Law Firm?
- Top keywords for lawyers: how can PPC and SEO help law firms?
- Tips on how to run and measure a PPC campaign for lawyers.
Let’s start with the first topic and analyze target niche areas for attorney internet marketing.
In which areas of law Google Adwords PPC works most effectively for law firms?
PPC for law firms is less effective if potential clients tend to believe recommendations from friends and colleagues more than advertising on the Internet. It most often occurs in the following areas of law:
- Real estate
- Securities law
- International law
- Employment law
- M&A law
- Business litigation
- High net worth estate planning
If your firm provides services from the list above, it will be a little bit more difficult to conduct an Adwords PPC campaign. However, it is still possible with the help of competent Lasting Trend experts who have worked in your particular area for many years.
Online advertising for lawyers is far more effective in the following areas:
- Employment matters
- Criminal charges
- Personal injury
These areas are associated with a social stigma. That’s why potential clients avoid discussing their situations with friends or colleagues. They are more likely to search for a lawyer on the Internet and click on your firm ads shown on the top of the search results.
Also, there is an interesting social mechanism that can be used to get benefits if your company provides services in several areas of law. The recommendations of satisfied customers connect two categories of the legal area.
For example, a client found a bankruptcy lawyer on the Internet and received quality assistance. When his problems were solved, he shared his positive experience with people he knew. They became referrals and contacted the company about business-related disputes or other topics. This is how online advertising for lawyers can drive clients with both categories of cases.
How Knowing Your Client Makes it Easy to Implement PPC strategy for Your Law Firm?
Usually, a law firm specializes in one category of cases. To make PPC for law firms more powerful, experts concentrate on your target audience and use negative keywords to remove searches that are irrelevant to your area of law.
For example, if your company takes only business-related disputes, negative keywords that should be used are “lawyers for property issues” or “divorce lawyers.”
The next important step in paid search strategy is narrowing the geographic area in Google Adwords. Potential clients search for a law firm nearby, in your city or town. With geolocation, professionals can also become involved in places where you have campaigns, where potential clients can easily be found. Here are several examples of where to find them:
- For DUI law firms – local bars.
- For divorce lawyers – hotels, because people often have affairs when their marriage is about to end.
- For real estate and wills lawyers – places loved by older people with high income, such as art galleries or even exhibitions of elite dog breeds.
For each area of law, there are places where your potential client will frequent and be likely to see your ads.
In addition to geolocation, experts may be able to determine the best time for showing ads. For example, for bars and hotels, it will be in the evening hours.
It is also useful to cover rush hour when people spend hours in traffic jams using their smartphones. This period of time can often bring many clients to car accident lawyers because there are many car crashes happen.
It is crucial to create emotionally engaging ads to catch potential clients’ attention immediately. When searching for a lawyer, people have something to lose and need to be assured that your company is reliable and has a good reputation. Here are the best PPC Ads examples that can be used:
- The number of cases won + add your number.
- Achievements + add something that makes you proud.
Along with the reputation of a law firm, people are extremely interested in the cost of lawyers’ services. So, in order for them to feel at ease with their decision we offer the following examples of PPC ads for law firms:
- Discounted fees
- Free consultations
In certain law areas, almost every client is budget-conscious, for example in divorce disputes. So, these words will increase positive response.
Top keywords for lawyers: How Can PPC and SEO Help Law Firms?
Lawyer SEO is based on keywords, and PPC campaigns, in particular, use them as a bait for potential clients. Top keywords for lawyers attract more traffic from PPC ads. Usually, the keywords are long tail ones. They include specific geolocation and area of law. For example, a law firm SEO expert can use such phrases:
- Best property lawyer in Boston
- Divorce lawyer required in New York
- Best car crash lawyer in Chicago
- Need a bankruptcy lawyer in Austin
In order to make the funnel wider, experts may use not only direct search phrases but also topics that are interesting to potential clients depending on their issues. Examples of longer top keywords for lawyers:
- Can I file a bankruptcy without an attorney in San Antonio?
- How to get a divorce without a lawyer in Dallas?
SEO services for a law firm include choosing keywords not only for their effectiveness but also for their price. Long tail keywords are usually cheaper than short tail ones. Some short tail keywords can cost thousands of dollars a month for bidding. However, sometimes they are not properly tuned.
Attorney SEO experts from Lasting Trend will carefully analyze the price-effectiveness ratio when selecting top keywords for lawyers. Therefore, your SEO or PPC campaign will pay for itself many times over.
Tips on how to run and measure a PPC campaign for lawyers
PPC best practices offers many recommendations for reducing costs and increasing profits from each click. Here are main points to consider:
- Calculate your cost per acquisition. Before you invest money, you should know how much you are willing to pay for each customer.
- Create a landing page that will convert the maximum traffic into sales.
- Setup tracking for conversion for each traffic source. Otherwise, PPC for law firms can easily become not cost-effective.
As the basis of a successful PPC campaign is keywords, let’s summarize how to work with them properly:
- Pick keywords that are relevant to your clients’ needs. Create a list with as many keywords as you can gather and group them by the topics.
- For each group select negative keywords to cut off irrelevant searches.
- Diversify the traffic for each group by creating separate landing pages on each topic. Keep the topic narrow.
- For each group choose at least three ads to run.
Here are two questions that help measure the effectiveness of a PPC campaign:
- How high are the money returns after purchasing ads?
- What is the average cost per acquisition that generates a closed deal? Is attorney internet marketing in line with the company financial plans?
If the PPC campaign does not pay off, you should analyze your strategy and use the help of SEO experts if needed.
1.Setting up a balanced PPC Campaign for a Law firm
PPC campaign will be better if experts focus on the quality of leads over the volume of leads. Three types of keywords that can be used for producing income:
- Broad – “injury lawyer.” You choose who will see your ads, and Google delivers broad keywords. The advantage is that you can reach search queries that you were not aware of. It will also give you the most traffic. The downfall is that this traffic comes with low conversion.
- Phrase – “injury lawyer in San Jose.” You can add geolocation tails to a keyword phrase to narrow the search area. It will decrease traffic but increase conversion.
- Exact keywords – “best personal injury lawyer in San Jose.” Exact matching keywords provide maximum conversions and CTRs for AdWords ads. However, they can accidentally cut off some useful traffic. For example, you will miss a client that searches a more general phrase like “injury lawyer in San Jose.”
Different types of keywords can be mixed to make a PPC campaign more balanced. Here are three tips on how to mix keywords in attorney internet marketing:
- If your budget is limited, use 20% phrase and 80% exact keywords. It will cut your cost per lead.
- If you want to maximize your leads, use 60% broad, 20% exact, and 20% phrase keywords. This strategy will cost more. However, if the keywords were picked up properly, it will pay off.
- For most law firms the optimal strategy is 25% broad, 25% phrase, and 50% exact. This ratio optimizes costs and leads to a large amount of targeted traffic.
2. PPC Tip for Attorneys
There is another smart way to optimize costs that is called “Call Only” ads. When using them, you pay only when a potential client calls your firm. This type of ad runs when the company’s office is open, and attorneys are available.
Q: How does pay per click advertising work?
A: Pay-per-click (PPC) is a form of online marketing that is often used for attracting clients to law firms. Using simple words, an expert selects specific keywords that your potential clients may search. Then “bids” on these keywords on Google Ads. When somebody is looking for a lawyer, he or she will see your company as a sponsored search result.
Q: Does Adwords work for lawyers?
A: The result of pay-per-click advertising for lawyers is mostly defined by keywords selection. The nuances depend on the niche and type of keywords. For example, general legal words like “divorce lawyer” will perform differently than more specific phrase keywords like “divorce lawyer in San Jose.” Therefore, it is crucial to constantly track, test, and optimize the campaign to make it the most cost-effective.
Q: How effective is pay per click advertising?
A: PPC ads can pay for itself many times over if the law firm landing page converts each click into a sale. So, along with Adwords settings, you should pay attention to the website optimization.
Q: Which is better SEO or PPC?
A: Both SEO and PPC are a part of SEM (Search Engine Marketing) and usually, law firms use both tools to gather new clients. What is the difference between them?
- SEO includes the whole website optimization. In general, it costs less than PCC. The effect may not be immediate, however, it lasts a long time.
- PPC advertising for lawyers costs more, however it can bring more clients in a short period of time. The downfall is that when the investment stops, the results go down.
Two SEM tools are deeply connected. If the website is not optimized, it cannot turn traffic from PPC into closed sales – lawsuits from real clients. That is why the best strategy is a combination of PPC and SEO performed by experts of engine optimization, content making, and website advertising.
Get a free consultation with The Lasting Trend experts to determine the lowest-cost and highest-return channels for your ads that will drive clients to you in a short time!